A White Elephant Gift Exchange is a popular event where people try to walk away with the best present. You may know the game by Yankee Swap, Dirty Santa, and a plethora of other names. The ECPM White Elephant game will be played by these simple/basic rules:
1. Each player brings one wrapped gift to contribute to a pile of presents on a single table.
The gifts must be Scale Model related. Examples would be model kits that are in good condition with all pieces, instructions, and usable decals (it does not have to be shrink wrapped but it would be nice if it were), modeling tools, reference books, etc.
2. The gift(s) should total around $20 (+/- $3.00).
3. Players draw numbers to determine what order they will go up to pick a present from the pile.
Once all of the presents are in the pile, they will be counted. That will be the quantity of slips written out with a number on them. (Ex. 20 gifts = slips 1–20).
4. The player who draws #1 will go first to the pile to pick their present. This player will take off the wrapping and show the room what the present is.
Their turn is done for now (more to come on participant #1).
5. The following player #2 (and continuing in numerical order) can choose to either pick an unwrapped gift from the pile OR steal a previous player’s gift.
Anyone who gets their gift stolen in this way can do the same – choose a new wrapped gift from the pile or steal from someone else. If a present gets stolen three (3) times, it’s out of the game and the person who holds it gets to walk away with that very present.
6. After all players have had a turn, the player with slip #1 gets a chance to swap the gift he/she is holding for any other opened gift. Once that swap is complete, the game is done.
7. Please note: Let's not be the guys in the photo above. Once the game is over, any number of personal exchanges can be made on your own time.